Breaking News

Teenager 'thought she was going to die' as jealous ex-soldier boyfriend savagely beat her during 4-hour basement attack

He banged her head against a radiator and wall leaving her with bleeding profusely and needing medical treatment

Jason Haw
Jason Haw was found guilty of the horrific attack
A jealous ex-soldier subjected his girlfriend to a brutal four-hour attack in the basement of his house that left her bleeding so badly, she feared she would die, a court has heard.
Jason Haw, 22, dragged Laura Smith from her home in her nightie just hours after her grandmother's funeral.
He grew suspicious that the 18-year-old was seeing her ex-boyfriend behind his back and shut her in the basement of his home before launching his attack.
During the four-hour ordeal, Haw brutally slammed her head against a radiator and wall, stripped her of her clothes and left her so battered she required hospital treatment.
Haw is now starting a 16-week prison sentence after admitting three counts of assault by beating on Miss Smith. He was also made the subject of a three-year restraining order.
Burnley Magistrates Court heard that Haw, who now works in private security after leaving the Army, dragged his victim into his home and demanded to see her mobile phone.
CavendishInjury picture of Laura Smith
The huge gash on Ms Smith's head
Prosecutor Enza Geldard said Haw snatched Miss Smith's mobile and searched for messages she had swapped with her ex.
He banged her head hard against a wall, pinned her down, sat on top of her and demanded to know if she had had sex with him.
The defendant shouted: "Have you got love bites?" before stripping the victim half-naked, inspecting her body for bites and smashing her head on a radiator.
The court heard Haw later took Miss Smith, who was bleeding profusely from a gash to the front of her head, to hospital, after calmly tidying up the cellar.
There, he pretended to be a devoted boyfriend and laughed and joked with her in front of nurses- but carried on tormenting her when staff were out of the room.
He then drove the victim home and demanded she didn't say anything.
Miss Smith said she was so scared she lied to both medics and her parents about the cut on her head, telling them she had fallen, even though a nurse had asked if Haw was responsible.
The court was told it was the last and most serious of three frightening assaults Haw had inflicted on the victim in the space of as many months.
CavendishLaura Smith
Ms Smith was subjected to a brutal four-hour attack
Prosecutor Mrs Geldard told the court Miss Smith met Haw, now her ex-partner, at a youth club and they started a relationship in mid to late July, last year.
Mrs Geldard said: "She says they argued all the time, every day almost and describes him as being very controlling."
The prosecutor said last November 14, Miss Smith was at home when Haw messaged her, saying he was outside. She ignored him and he started throwing things at her window.
She went downstairs, he demanded she leave and go to his house and she refused. The prosecutor said: "He grabbed her and dragged her down the path. She was trying to get away.
"The ground was wet and she was scraping her feet. Miss Smith was pulled into Haw's vehicle and he set off to his house.
"He was saying 'Why would you do this to me?' and she was repeating she had not done anything.
"Once in the basement he pushed her onto a mattress on the floor, put on an electric radiator, took her mobile phone and looked at messages between her and her ex, getting himself worked up."
CavendishLaura Smith
She was dragged into his car then locked in the basement
The prosecutor told the hearing: "She says he ripped her pyjama top off and ripped her bra off. He began scrambling over her body, checking her for love bites. She was pleading with him to take her home.
"She has gone to grab her phone again and he hit her on the cheekbone so hard she has fallen back onto the bed."
Mrs Geldard said the defendant saw a message to the victim's ex and shouted: "You can f*** off" and as she tried to leave, the defendant grabbed her by the hair, pulled her down and banged her head on the radiator.
She got up and couldn't walk. Miss Smith then managed to get to the other side of the room and tried to get her phone. Haw pushed her hard onto the bed.
Miss Smith screamed, put her hand to her head and realised she was bleeding badly.
Mrs Geldard continued: "She was in sheer panic. She says she thought she was going to die she was bleeding that badly. She was terrified, at which point the defendant said he would take her to hospital.
"Before he took her, he tidied the room."
Keith Rennison, in mitigation, told the hearing Haw accepted the way he behaved throughout the relationship was totally unacceptable and he was extremely sorry for what he had done.
He had ADHD and problems with hyperactivity and dyslexia and at the time had not been on his ADHD medication as he found it left him " doped up" and unable to function or work.
CavendishJason Haw
Jason Haw was sentenced to 16 weeks
He said: "He is not perhaps as mature as an ordinary 22-year-old and acted in a way that he would say is out of character."
Mr Rennison said the defendant was medically discharged from the Army after a motorbike accident.
He said: "This has been a wake-up call. He accepts what went on is thoroughly wrong and he is very apologetic. He realises he has a problem, particularly when relationships come to an end and it's something he needs to address."
Sentencing, bench chairman John James told the defendant the victim was vulnerable, she had been taken from her home forcibly and against her will and the assault was sustained.
He said: "We feel there was a significant degree of premeditation. There was also degradation of the victim. You removed her top clothing and her bra to look for love bites on her upper body."