Ad

Breaking News

ELECTION 2019 | OSINBAJO’S SEAT NOT GUARANTEED – BUHARI

ELECTION 2019 |  Osinbajo's Seat Not Guaranteed - Buhari
President Muhammadu Buhari has declared that the position of his deputy, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, could not be guaranteed. The President disclosed this on Friday, May 15, 2018.

President Buhari was reacting to a request of some female lawmakers who visited him at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, that he should cede the post of the vice president, some Senate and House of Representatives seats to them in next year’s election.
The women from various states of the federation, under the aegis of Conference of Nigeria Female Parliamentarians, CONFEPA, urged the president to consider a woman for the post presently being occupied by Professor Osinbajo.
Buhari told his guests that with their request, Osinbajo’s job was being threatened.
“It is a pity that the Vice President is not here, but I am sure the Secretary to the Government of the Federation will brief him that his position is threatened,” Buhari said.
On their request for him to make a pronouncement for more legislative seats for women, the president reminded them that he was not “as powerful as you think,” noting that he lacked the powers to make such a pronouncement.
He said such request could only be made by a military head of state as he reminded them that he had already dropped the uniform for “agbada.”
He said: “I am not all that powerful that when I talk, it becomes a decree. As I said, it is only the Vice President that is threatened”.
The president appreciated the support given to him by women in the four times he ran for president.
He recalled reports he received during elections of pregnant women queueing up to vote for him.
Buhari urged the delegation to take a message to their colleagues to extend the same support since he has declared to seek a second term.
But Osinbajo’s spokesperson, Laolu Akande, when asked to react to the president’s statement, declined comments, asking why he was being asked to comment on what the president said.
“The president has spoken (so) why are you asking me to comment,” he told Saturday Tribune when he was contacted by phone on Friday afternoon